2008-04-12

A Change of Direction

Yes, it has been quite a while. Truth is, I haven't created a sculpted character in well over a year. I can't quite explain it - I just "hit a wall". My timing was poor, since I was right smack dab in the middle of a commission, but I suddenly realised that I just wasn't enjoying it the way I used to. At least I wasn't getting out of it what I needed to, creatively. I hadn't run out of ideas (far from it!) but the actual construction process was just too much hard work and too slow. I'm an "instant gratification" kind of person. Besides that, my sales fizzled and I wasn't prepared to give them away. So that is the whole sad story.... Well, actually, it's not. You can't keep a creative soul unfulfilled. Around the same time, a friend was organizing a local salmon festival. She had produced over a hundred 4ft long plywood fish. These were to be embellished by local artisans and auctioned off. She talked me into doing one, so I grabbed my craft paints and went at it. "Incodnito" is the result. Since then, I haven't stopped painting (I'm using better quality paints these days), and while I haven't given up entirely on the characters, I haven't felt the urge to revisit that artform quite yet. Maybe later...

No comments: